Falmouth Village Ushers in Spring with Falmouth Village is Blooming
May Baskets, Spring B&B Tours, Gardening Workshops & Sales & Cinco de Mayo Falmouth Village, MA – While May baskets may have gone by the wayside with trendier traditions in many New England villages, Falmouth Village is one place that holds stalwartly to this springtime ritual. And after the winter Cape Cod has had, May Baskets created by Falmouth Village businesses will be a welcome addition to the streetscape from the Queens Buyway down Main Street. In fact, to celebrate the arrival of spring in this Upper Cape Cod town, Falmouth Village businesses and associations have put together an entire two-week schedule to revel in springtime. From one of Cape Cod’s largest Cinco de Mayo gatherings on the street to B&B tours filled with flowering workshops, Flower Power Happy Hours, and the annual Falmouth Beautification Sale, the first two weeks of May is the perfect time to visit Falmouth Village.
Each year the Falmouth Village Association sponsors the annual May Basket competition and businesses throughout Falmouth Village create lavish, whimisical or beautifully simple creations to be judged for bragging rights of first, second and third prize. Live and/or hand-made creations line the street making a stroll down Falmouth Village’s Main Street during judging season garden-like and even more fun. In the past more than 30 businesses participated and this year even more are expected.
Look forward to a packed schedule blooming festivities in Falmouth Village during the first two weeks in May.
Falmouth Village Blooming: A celebration of May blooms, May 1 – 10, 2015
- May 1 – 10: Tour May Baskets: Take a self-guided tour through Falmouth Village where participating businesses will display handmade and unique May baskets. More than 30 businesses take this competition seriously, and the May baskets are everything from simple to lavish. Vote on the Falmouth Village Facebook page for your favorite and crown a People’s Choice winner.
- May 1 – 10: Blooming Bargains: Enjoy Bloomin’ Bargains at participating retailers, offering sales, gifts with purchase, and more. Look for Falmouth Village Blooming sign to identify participating businesses.
- May 1-10: 3:00-5:00pm: Enjoy Flower Power Specials at participating restaurants, all identified with the Falmouth Village Blooming sign in the window.
May 1-10: Self-guided walks through gardens at Museums on the Green: Stroll through the museums Boxwood Garden then gain inspiration for your own kitchen garden from the museum’s herb garden behind the Wicks House.
- May 1-3: Kids Spring Hat Weekend: Bonnets aren’t just for Easter! Stores, restaurants and other businesses throughout Falmouth Village will open their doors with special hat-making projects. Kids will make hats and headbands from pie tins, paper flowers and more. A different kids craft project at each participating business. Free.
- May 3: Estate Walk at Highfield Hall, 12:30pm: Highfield Garden Coordinator, Terry Soares, will be available in the gardens at Highfield Hall from 12:30 – 12:45 to greet visitors and offer an introductions to the highlights of this beautiful estate and its grounds. During the estate walk docents tell the story of the Beebe family who built both Highfield Hall and its sister mansion Tanglewood on their magnificent 700 acre estate.
May 5: Cinco de Mayo: They’re closing the street and spilling out of the restaurants for this annual spring celebration. Sip a blooming Margarita as Anejo Mexican Bistro moves the fun out into the street to celebrate the 5th of May. You’ll want to arrive in festive garb to enjoy $5 burritos and margaritas and plenty of music to go along with the holiday at this spring street party.
- May 5: May Garden Basket Design with Anna Holmes, 6-8pm: After garnering inspiration from the May baskets displayed throughout Falmouth Village, learn to make your own at Highfield Hall. You will mix seasonal flowering plants, herbs and foliage plants topped off with moss. Anna will teach how to select plants, where to buy them, how to care for your garden and dress up a seasonal garden. All materials are supplied in this hands-on workshop. $40 per person/$35 for Highfield Hall members. Register on-line or call, 508-495-1878, ext. 2.
- May 9: Spring Story time: Eight Cousins Bookstore is hosting story time at 10:30 am for the very popular book Guess How Much I Love You. The event will include story time, activity, and photos with Little Nut Brown Hare.
- May 10: Falmouth Beautification Council Plant Sale, 9am – 3pm: Put the gardening gloves on and revvvv your garden engines for the annual Falmouth Beautification Council Sale. Here’s your chance to fill the window boxes and planters as the council peddles its pedals! From 9:00am – 3:00pm, under the tents at Town Hall Square, purchase your annuals, perennials, herbs, daylilies, shrubs, veggies, house plants and more. This is a sale that gardeners wait for which signals that the growing season can now begin. Special workshops for gardeners and kids will be offered too.
- May 10: Falmouth B&B Association Garden Tour: 1:00-3:00pm: A number of the Falmouth B&B Association members will open their gardens for touring and mini-workshops. Take a tour of the gardens, enjoy the chance to learn from accomplished innkeeper/gardeners.
- Captain’s Manor Inn: Learn about the new raised bed gardening trend using cattle troughs. The Inn is expanding their herb and vegetable garden using this method. Professional landscape experts will be on site to answer your lawn and gardening questions.
Palmer House Inn: A how to plant a successful container garden demonstration will be presented in the herb garden, instruction and handouts provided. Refreshments provided on the deck.
- Woods Hole Passage: Bring the kids to participate in a child centered garden project.
- Woods Hole Inn and Bailey’s by the Sea: Stop by and enjoy tea and cookies on the porch.
Throughout the Falmouth Blooming celebration inns also offer packages including accommodations, breakfast, themed amenities and more. Click here for a spring package or click here for a Cinco de Mayo Package from Palmer House Inn. Click here for spring or Cinco de Mayo packages from Captain’s Manor Inn, both within an easy stroll of the Falmouth Blooming festivities.
For more information on Falmouth Villages April and May events, and to plan your next visit to Falmouth Village, go to www.falmouthvillageassociation.com.
While all of our rooms have their own individual charm suitable for relaxation after the most wonderful day of adventures exploring the Falmouth Village Blooming events, we recommend the Harriet Beecher Stowe room, the Theodore Roosevelt room or the Emily Dickinson room. These rooms feature comfortable king beds, fireplaces, Jacuzzi-style tubs and a relaxing stay before and after your day.