A Bit Like Paris with a New England Flare of its Own: 12 Great Sidewalk Cafe Eateries on Cape Cod
Ten years ago Main Street, Falmouth had one or two restaurants with sidewalk dining. Now, with twelve eateries to choose from, a stroll down our bustling Restaurant Row is truly a tempting excursion. These great Cape Cod sidewalk cafes are varied and international in flavor. It reminds me of Paris but it’s Cape Cod all the way.
- Bean & Cod starts our list and is one of the first great Cape Cod sidewalk cafe on the right as you walk from the Palmer House into town. This little specialty food store (a great place for the New England food connoisseur to pick up jams, olive oils, vinegars, sauces, and pastas), is a fixture in Falmouth. This is one of the stops where many of the local villagers go for their favorite sandwiches. They have only a couple of tables and chairs but it’s a lovely stop for lunch and a glass of wine.
2. At the The Pickle Jar Kitchen they believe,” that any good meal should start with wholesome natural ingredients and be served in a warm and friendly atmosphere.” They have succeeded in their goal and that puts them on our list of the great Cape Cod sidewalk cafes. I chose to have lunch there last Thursday. I had a roasted beet salad with goat cheese on baby arugula in a whole grain mustard vinaigrette. To drink, I had their house made lemonade. It was a delicious meal in a pleasant location.
- The head chef at Osteria la Civetta is Fabio Pozzati. Both he and the owners are natives of the Emila Romagna region in Northern Italy. All of the dishes reflect the authentic cuisine of their native land. I have heard it said that when one stepping into Osteria it is like stepping from Cape Cod into Italy. All of the furnishings and decor has been brought from Italy. Now they have outside dining both on the sidewalk and on a side patio, to add to the European flavor of the Cape Cod sidewalk cafe experience.
4. Tisberry’s was founded in the Town of Tisbury on the island of Martha’s Vineyard, and now we have this Cape Cod favorite in Falmouth. This family owned eatery features non-fat premium frozen yogurt flavored with the finest all-natural purees and very tasty smoothies.
Cup Cake Charlie.s creates baked goods, soups, ice creams, and cup cakes for special events. They strive to create a gathering spot that is inviting, warm and filled with wonderful treats. Their goal is to make every visit an experience and I love to stop in to see the cupcake creation of the week. They recently expanded their seating to include a table and chairs on the sidewalk.
- Anejo Mexican Bistro & Tequila Bar pays homage to their tequilas. Their mission: “To bring you our take on authentic Mexican market food – slowing down the processes and adding some culinary twists of our own.” They are fortunate to have both sidewalk seating on Main Street and comfortable couch seating in the charming alley on their side. It’s wonderful to sip a Margarita while enjoying a warm summer evening go by in good company.
- Ben and Bill’s Chocolate Emporium with ice cream, sweets, and fun need we say any more… a warm day isn’t complete without an ice cream and a seat at this great Cape Cod sidewalk cafe.
- Ghelfi’s is where I buy our fine hand-made chocolates that we give to our guests who are celebrating special occasions at our inn. The chocolates are made from the finest ingredients, right here in their kitchen on Cape Cod. They have been perfecting the art of candy making for three generations.
- Maison Villatte is a wonderful boulangerie. They will provide you with the most wonderful quiches, breads, and pastries.
Divine Pizza brings together a pizzeria and a great Cape Cod sidewalk cafe. They have hand-tossed, stone-fired pizza in the Neapolitan tradition. They also have signature pasta dishes, specialty sandwiches and gourmet salads. In addition they have fine wines and award-winning regional beer.
Parkside Market is located across from Peg Noonan Park. For the health conscious eater, looking to focus on locally sourced food, Parkside is one of the best. Their meats are house roasted and free of hormones and their greens are always organic. They also offer soy milk and gluten-free options.
Bear in Boots Gastropub is one of the newest establishments in Falmouth and a fun addition to our 12 Great Cape Cod Sidewalk Cafes list. A Gastropub is the combination of a comfortable friendly pub atmosphere with really good food. They have 18 beers on tap, 18 table beers, wine and cocktails. Everything is made in-house right down to the ketchup.
While all of the bedchambers at the Palmer House have their own charm suitable for relaxation after the most wonderful day of adventures sampling the best Cape Cod sidewalk cafe’s, we recommend the Harriet Beecher Stowe room, the Theodore Roosevelt room or the Emily Dickinson room. These rooms feature comfortable king beds, fireplaces, jetted tubs for a relaxing stay before and after your day.