We all know how great the Cape is in the summer, but at Palmer House Inn, we have several ways to help you plan a fantastic trip to Cape Cod in the winter. Check out our list of the top 10 things to do this winter in Falmouth, MA for a fun and relaxing winter getaway on the quiet side of the Cape.
10. Dine at the Best Restaurants in Falmouth, MA
Whether you’re looking for a casual quick bite or more of a fine dining experience, our ideal location on the south side of the Cape offers the perfect place to eat. Enjoy every bite at some of our favorite restaurants in Falmouth’s historic district which are all close to our romantic bed and breakfast. Bundle up for a quick walk to the following fantastic eateries:
- Osteria La Civetta – Wonderful Southern Italian cuisine
- La Cucina Sul Mare – Awesome Northern Italian cuisine
- Quarterdeck Restaurant – A local favorite serving American fare and seafood
- The Glass Onion – Locally sourced fine dining with seafood and American fare
- Liam Maguire’s Irish Pub – Traditional Irish foods and creative contemporary cuisine
- Simply Divine Pizza – Stone-fired Neapolitan-style pizza, sandwiches, salads and more
- Bangkok Thai Cuisine – Authentic Thai food made with the freshest ingredients
- Homeport Sushi and Kitchen – Fresh and authentic Japanese cuisine
9. Get Out to See the Wonder of Winter on the Cape
Sure it can get a bit chilly out there in the winter, but we think it’s worth the extra layers to see the beauty of Cape Cod during this quiet time. After your day’s adventure, we’ll be ready at our cozy Inn with a warm fire, hot drinks and comfortable accommodations. Check out a few of our favorite places to explore:
- The Knob at Cornelia Carey Salt Pond Sanctuary
Located in Woods Hole, MA, this popular nature walk offers beautiful views of Quissett Harbor and Buzzards Bay. Finding a spot at the small parking area is so much easier when the summer crowds are gone. There is even a dog-friendly beach if you’re bringing your furry friend to our pet-friendly Cape Cod Inn.
- Beebe Woods at Highfield Hall and Gardens
Explore this extensive network of walking trails covering several miles of varied terrain. Venture through wooded ridges and steep-sided hollows to discover the “Punch Bowl,” an Instagram-worthy pond located deep in the Woods. The trails are open year-round from dawn to dusk.
- Explore the Miles of Beaches in Falmouth
With 68 miles of coastline and 12 miles of public beaches in Falmouth, MA there is so much to see and discover. Plus, without the busy summer crowds, you may feel like you have the coast to yourselves. Trade in the summer swim for a winter walk to Surf Drive Beach, which is just 1.6 miles from our historic Inn.
8. Take in a Romantic Sunrise or Sunset
Nobska Light House offers panoramic vistas of Falmouth, Martha’s Vineyard, the Elizabeth Islands, Vineyard and Nantucket Sounds, and Woods Hole Passage! The tours are closed for the season, but you can still cozy up together in your car with the heater on to take in the view as the sun rises or sets over the point. Or bundle up, grab a blanket and a hot drink, and venture out to the cliff walk for more expansive views of this breathtaking daily event.
7. Get to Know the Water and its Inhabitants
Have fun while you learn something new! Cape Cod is an ecological gem and there’s no shortage of ways explore the local waters and the fish that live there. In nearby Woods Hole, you can check out the following water themed venues:
- Woods Hole Science Aquarium
This small, public aquarium displays about 140 species of marine animals found in Northeast and Middle Atlantic waters. They offer free admission, but gladly accept donations from nice guests like you.
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute
Understand the ocean better and its importance to us all when you visit this world-leading research center. They suggest a donation of $2 per visitor.
6. Taste Some Wine & Beer on the Cape
- Cape Cod Winery is just a few miles up the road from our romantic Inn. Their fun and friendly attitude only adds to the enjoyment of their wines. They are open by appointment for the winter, so plan ahead to check them out.
- Falmouth Wine & Spirits is a fun little shop that offers weekly craft beer and wine tastings. They are very knowledgable, and happy to help you discover something new from their carefully curated selection of spirits. Check them out if you’re looking for that special bottle of something to celebrate with during your winter getaway to Cape Cod!
5. Take a Day Trip to Martha’s Vineyard
Visit the Vineyard without the crowds! Just down the road from our historic Inn is the only ferry service to Martha’s Vineyard during the winter. Just a 45 minute boat ride from Woods Hole will take you to the quaint island of Martha’s Vineyard with all of its restaurants, shops and museums to explore.
4. Relax with a Day at the Spa
Get pampered with romantic massages at one of our fabulous spas in Falmouth. Pura Vida Spa indulges your senses and satisfies your spirit with a full menu of spa services. Or if you want to really treat yourself, Bellezza Salon MedSpa offers Medspa services in addition to a full massage menu and salon services.
3. Take in a Show at the Theater
The Falmouth Theater Guild has some of the best productions that make for the perfect winter evening out on the town. Check out the latest events and book your tickets online today.
2. Shop at Some of the Best Boutique Shops
There is something for everyone in and around Falmouth. From little shops with made in the USA quality inexpensive and unique gifts, to the extravagant one of a kind items. Get your holiday shopping done in style!
A couple of our favorite shops:
- The Gilded Oyster – a lovely boutique shop with incredibly handcrafted goods.
- O’Malley-Keys Fine Art – incredible museum quality art.
1. Experience Fireside Romance at Palmer House Inn
Our romantic Cape Cod Inn offers comfortable rooms with wonderful amenities. Several of our rooms offer cozy fireplaces and jetted tubs for the ultimate in relaxation. Every room comes with our delicious homemade breakfast each morning and the superior service of our staff. So if you’re looking for a winter getaway to the Cape from Boston or New York, check out Palmer House Inn to discover our quiet and historic town of Falmouth, MA.Book Now